Samsung Scholarship - Oregon
American Legion Auxiliary - Department of Oregon
In honor of U.S veterans who helped Korea against the communist forces in the Korean War, the scholarship provides assistance for undergraduate studies of direct descendants or a legally adopted child of a war veteran who served active duty on certain eligible dates as designated by the American Legion. Applicant must be a delegate to either an American Legion Boys State or American Legion Auxiliary Girls State program.
852 - 20,000
- 1 award
- Scholarship Website
- Age/Grade Level:Scholarship applications are restricted to high school juniors
- Financial Need:Required
- College:The Samsung American Legion Scholarship is for undergraduate study at an accredited U.S. college or university
- Military:Descendants of a wartime veteran
- Organization:High school juniors who attend the current session of either The American Legion Boys State or Auxiliary Girls State program
- Miscellaneous:The recipients must be enrolled as a fulltime student to request his/her scholarship funds. Scholarship applications are restricted to high school juniors who attend the current session of either The American Legion Boys State or Auxiliary Girls State program and are a direct descendant - i.e. child, grandchild, great grandchild, etc. - or a legally adopted child of a wartime veteran who served on active duty during at least one of the periods of war officially designated as eligibility dates for American Legion membership.World War I - Apr. 6, 1917 - Nov. 11, 1918World War II - Dec. 7, 1941 - Dec. 31, 1946Korean War - June 25, 1950 - Jan. 31, 1955Vietnam War - Feb. 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975Lebanon/Grenada - Aug. 24, 1982 - Jul. 31, 1984Panama - Dec. 20, 1989 - Jan. 31, 1990Persian Gulf War - Aug. 2, 1990 - Until cessation of hostilitiesIncludes Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, & War on Terrorism
- Judging Criteria:Winners are selected according to academic record, involvement in school and community activities, community service and financial need. Applicants who are direct descendants of Korean War veterans will receive special consideration. Applicants who are direct descendants of Korean War veterans will receive special consideration.
- Resume/Activity List:Required
- Essay:What do you like to do for fun and/or enjoyment?
- Recommendation Letters:Letters of Recommendation are not required, however, during the application process, an applicant will be required to have anacademic progress form filled out and attested to by a school official.
- Other Materials:Proof of Service DocumentationACCEPTABLEForm DD214 (Official discharge certificate)Official Honorable Discharge certificateForm DD1300 (Official military death certificate)Official record of burial in a military cemetery issued by the National Cemetery Administration of the Department of Veterans AffairsCurrent or former military ID cardCurrent or former LES (Leave and Earnings Statement)Official logbook entries from a military unitDocumentation may include, but is not limited to copies of, Department of Defense documents, Department of the Army documents, Department of the Navy documents, Department of the Air Force documents, Department of Veterans Affairs documents (federal or state), and American Legion documents.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org