Kansas Osteopathic Medical Service Scholarship

Kansas Board of Regents

This scholarship was established to benefit individuals pursuing a medical career in osteopathy. The scholarship also encourages doctors to practice primary care medicine in areas with insufficient medical care providers within Kansas.

Key Information

Eligibility Requirements

  • Age/Grade Level:
    Graduate Scholarships
  • Financial Need:
  • Residence:
    Recipients must be Kansas residents.
  • College:
    Students may attend any accredited osteopathic school in the United States.
  • Major/Career:
    individuals pursuing a medical career in osteopathy.
  • Miscellaneous:
    Applicants must agree to practice primary care medicine, which is defined as general internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, family practice, obstetrics and gynecology, geriatric medicine or emergency medicine. The practice must be fulfilled in a medically underserved area which is any county in Kansas except Douglas, Johnson, Sedgwick, Shawnee, or Wyandotte. Practice must begin within six months after licensure or within six months after completion of an approved postgraduate residency training program and licensure, whichever is later.

Application Details

  • Judging Criteria:
    Award selection is based on resident status, financial need, likelihood of primary care medical practice in an underserved area of Kansas and applicant's statement outlining his/her past and present commitment to medical care or employment in Kansas including volunteer or paid health care efforts.
  • Transcript:
    Not required
  • Resume/Activity List:
    Not required
  • Essay:
    Your statement of purpose, which is to be a one-page typed statement outlining your understanding of the purpose of the Osteopathic Medical Service Scholarship and your commitment to practice primary care medicine in an area of the state, designated as medically underserved.
  • Other Materials:
    - A completed 2016-2017 Kansas Osteopathic Medical Service Scholarship application.- A signed copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR). You will receive a SAR by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line at - A copy of your completed 2015 federal income tax return. You may have to provide your parent's or your spouse's return; you will be notified if this is necessary.

Contact Information